Monday, April 16, 2012

Then why are there still monkeys?

Were we descended from monkeys I'd agree with this.  Fortunately I've never heard anyone with a suitable education on the matter make that claim.  In my discussions with creationists I've tried my best to persuade them of common ancestry, but never to much avail.  Most creationists have it drilled into their heads by fellow creationists and creationist apologists (who should know better).  My point for now is the ignorant question "If we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?".  The answer which I touched on earlier is that we evolved from a common ancestor with monkeys.  We're closest in relation to the great apes, having 23 pairs of chromosomes to their 24.  Not only are our chromosome pairs so similar in number, but our 23rd chromosome is identical to the great apes' 23rd and 24th chromosomes fused together.

I do sincerely hope that I am wrong when I postulate that this defense is an intentional ignorance.  I rather would hope that education is possible, but my results in personal discussion have been rather distressing.  Some of the apologists, as I mentioned earlier should know this.  The people in the church should know this, but more on that later.  I cannot claim to be fully educated, with currently an incomplete college education but that should attest to the ignorance of this argument.

When I used to go to church, I watched a video series based on the fallacious nature of evolution.  Needless to say that the video series was quite disingenuous.  It had a tendency toward circular logic which disgusted me and pleased the teachers of the class.

No comments: